Friday, January 20, 2017

Fire!

Everyone is still recovering from the crud we all caught. I've been letting A use my phone to watch kids videos during nap time while I cleaned or cooked. Suddenly I realise it has been a week living here. Lots has been happening.

Right hand burner covered in baking soda. My scorched pot. Thankfully nothing was ruined.


 Fire! Yes we had a stove fire. The stove was gross drip pans needed replacing but with everyone sick I hadn't gotten to replacing them. Made lunch and they would smoke. Didn't think much of it, I cook everything from scratch sometimes things get on the burner. Well I walked out to check on baby V, while A walked into look out the back door. He came running "mom there is fire!" Yep there were flames licking the top of my covered pot. I quickly grabbed the baking soda and dumped a bunch on the fire. Baking soda quickly smothered the fire. I always keep some near the stove. What really got me was none of the smoke alarms went off! We knew we had them but hadn't checked them. Sure enough none worked, one didn't have batteries and both were very expired.
 Needless to say, Go check your smoke detectors. We went and bought new ones for the whole house. Great part is the new ones have a hush butter for when I'm roasting veggies and the hot oven triggered the alarm. No more pulled off the wall or worse removed battery.
 We'll be in the process of finding a new stove as soon as possible. I hate this stove. I've cleaned it to an inch of its life and threatening spoon waving.  Hopefully we (stove and I) are on the same page and no more fires. Tryed on Thursday but my favorite salvage resale store run by habitat for humanity didn't have any eletric coil stoves. No glass top for me with all the canning I love to do. A gas stove will be in the future when we completely redo the kitchen. Zx

No comments: