Saturday, January 28, 2012

Winter Garden

First let me introduce the NeverEnding tomato plant. Last summer I had a small space next to our apartment garage that I put out a pot of flowers and a small tomato seedling in the middle. I didn't have much hope for that tomato seedling, but it proved me completely wrong growing up crooked and strong, producing a sweet cherry tomato here and there. When we moved out here in the late fall the tomato pot came with us and lived outside enjoying the sun. Normally I would have let nature, aka frost, take its course ending the life of the tomato plant, but you see I started a edible ornamental pepper plant at the same time. The pepper was to live in the house all winter in a sunny south window, you might say I got sorry for the tomato and it ended up living in the the house too.
IT has sense taken over the whole south window. I had to move the poor pepper plant to the other room to for its own south window. However both are happy and producing lots of tomatoes and peppers. 

Secondly I have been craving a good salad. Therefore I planted two! I had some salad mixed seeds in my seed stash and I bough potting soil in preparation for spring seedlings. And then I used some left over take-out food containers for my soon to be salad!


 I've also got a bowl of spinach starting, but it hasn't sprouted yet.


In other Wienhold news: 

I've completed a 750 piece puzzle, its kinda sad now that it is done. Growing up we used to do puzzles in the winter. This is the first year I've done one all by my self. Soon it will get put away for another year.

Finally I'll leave you with another garden that lives at our house:

The aquarium garden. Someday I hope to put the 30 gallon tank back up and let these plants fill it up with greenery, but for now the little 10 gallon tank is a bright spot in our lounge.

No comments: